In this week’s episode we’ll tackle the all too common ‘paralysis of perfection’, and the need for us to pursue grace and excellence instead of perfection, with the fifth letter of the PROCESS acronym, E: Exit Here, Perfection.
What You’ll Hear:
- “Perfectionism is a twenty-ton shield that we lug around thinking it will protect us when, in fact, its the thing that’s really preventing us from taking flight” Brené Brown
- Parenting has a way of bringing all of our controlling, perfectionistic tendencies to the surface, along with a whole lot of other ugly stuff – and if we’re willing to deal with it, we’ll help protect them from this condition that cripples so many of us.
- We’re reminded constantly what beautiful looks like, intelligent sounds like, successful feels like and sexy behaves like. There’s a distinct mold that try as we might, we cannot seem to fit into. It’s time we stopped trying.
- “The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself” Anna Quindlen
- The fear of delivering imperfect work will cripple your small business in the same way fear of never having a perfect home will destroy your ability to be hospitable: you won’t bravely put your stuff out there and you won’t bravely let people in over the threshold.
- We will never measure up to what society deems ideal and the sooner we realize we don’t have to – and broadcast this liberating truth to our daughters – the sooner we’ll embrace our perfectly imperfect selves.
- While there is a place for perfection – like bridges and cheesecake and cutting-edge logos – when perfection becomes the standard by which we measure everything, we will spend our days exhausted, hyper-critical and anxious. Feeling both out of control and never quite enough.
- While busyness and hear of failure are often to blame for lack of action, perfectionism – and the procrastination if feeds – might just be one of the biggest culprits.
- Passion + action = momentum –> more passion
- Passion + perfectionism = procrastination –> less passion
- The beauty of momentum is that it’s far easier to course correct while moving…so get moving. Take imperfect action!
Quick Links from Episode 24:
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership by John Maxwell
- Nothing to Prove by Jennie Allen
- Grace, Not Perfection by Emily Ley
- Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
- The Compound Effect by Darren Hardy
Share your thoughts and join the conversation over on Facebook.
The Simply Bloom Shop : gifts that inspire your heart and home (be sure to listen for your discount code)
Find prints, cards, mugs & books that encourage and equip you to live our your passion with purpose.
Food for Thought:
- Where do you see perfectionism showing up most clearly in your life? Jot down an area or two and then ask yourself a series of “what” and “why” questions to get to the root of the issue.
Quote + Free Print:
“A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing” George Bernard Shaw
If you have any questions, you can reach out to me here.
Tune in next Monday for another episode of The Penduka Podcast, and be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss a thing!